A newspaper in Swaziland / Eswatini has reported what it calls an ‘assassination’ attempt against Prince Sicelo, a prominent member of the Swazi Royal Family.
The Sunday edition of the Swazi Observer, a newspaper in effect owned by King Mswati III the absolute ruler in Swaziland, reported Sicelo was the victim of a drive-by shooting.
In the headline to its story the Observer said he had been ‘left for dead’.
The Observer reported (18 November 2018) Prince Sicelo was driving a white seven-seater vehicle at Malagwane Hill near Mbabane when he was pursued by another vehicle that flashed its lights.
It reported he slowed down ‘ready to engage his pursuers’.
It added, ‘Just as the vehicle reached his side, he is said to have heard a loud banging sound which left him disoriented.
‘Seeing as he was slowing down, he is said to have involuntarily continued pressing his foot on the brakes as he moved further to the side of the road.
‘While in shock at the occurrence, still not aware that he had been shot, he is said to have heard two people approach the vehicle.’
The Observer said the attack happened on 20 September 2018 but details had only just emerged. It reported he lost consciousness for a while but later woke up and drove himself to the Mbabane Clinic where he was admitted for a week while being treated.
It reported he was ‘left for dead’ but added only one shot was fired and this lodged in his thigh.
It reported the attack as an ‘assassination attempt’ and said police later found a gun that it believed was used in the shooting.
Prince Sicelo is a controversial member of the Swazi Royal Family. Alleged exploits in his personal life are widely reported on social media.
Swaziland is an absolute monarchy. Political parties are banned from taking part in national elections and the King appoints the Prime Minister and Cabinet members. The attack on Prince Sicelo happened on the day before the national election in September 2018.
PM speaks of ‘assassination threat’
Post a Comment